Open Work Permit

  • TCAD Immigration Solutions

Open work permit is a work permit that is not job-specific, and as such a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) or proof of employment offer are not prerequisites to be eligible for an open work permit.


  • PG WORK PERMIT: International students who have graduated from a designated learning institution and who are eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program,
  • Students who are no longer to meet the costs of their studies (destitute student),
  • BRIDGING OPEN WORK PERMIT: Foreign nationals who have applied for permanent residence in Canada,
  • Foreign nationals who are the dependent family members of someone who has applied for permanent residence,
  • The spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker or international student,
  • Refugees, refugee claimants, protected persons, or their family members,
  • Temporary resident permit holders.
  • Charitable and Religious workers
  • Athletes

In each of these situations, the applicant must meet additional criteria to be eligible which you can discuss with our Canadian Immigration expert.

Spouses or common-law partners of full-time students with a valid study permit may apply for an open work permit.

An open work permit will enable the spouse or common-law partner of the international student to work. Your spouse/partner will not require a job offer to apply, and his/her permit will be valid for the same period as your study permit. This is an excellent way for your spouse or your common-law partner to connect with the local community, gain valuable work experience and earn extra money. Your spouse or your common-law partner can apply for a work permit after you arrive to Canada. It is also possible to apply for the spouse/common-law partner work permit at the same time as applying for your initial study permit outside of Canada. Your minor child/children may also study without a study permit at the preschool, primary, or secondary level. Please note children accompanying an adult who is in Canada on a work or study permit may study in Canada without a study permit at the pre-school, primary and secondary levels.