There are various types of work permit which are employer based

  • Lmia supported work permit:
  • Intra Company transfer work permit
  • Open Work Permit
  • CUSMA based work permit

An employer-specific work permit lets you work in Canada according to the conditions on your work permit, such as

  • the name of the specific employer you can work for
  • how long you can work
  • the location where you can work (if applicable)

You can apply for work permit to work in Canada based on LMIA 
If the employer is not able to find suitable employee in Canada, the employer can apply for LMIA so that employer can hire temporary foreign worker from outside or inside Canada

LMIA stands for Labour Market Impact Assessment and denotes that employer needs temporary foreign worker and no Canadians or permanent residents are available to do the job.
is a document that an employer in Canada may need to get before hiring a foreign worker.

LMIA is a 2 step process in most of the cases. First step is to post the advertisement by the employer for the job vacancy and second step is to submit the LMIA application to ESDC for further assessment.

After getting LMIA the worker can apply for work permit inside Canada or outside Canada

 **We have dealt with many happy employers to  obtain LMIA and applied for work permit for prospective workers

Intra Company Transferee- Work Permit (LMIA Exempt) [R205(a)]:

Multinational companies may be able to send their staff to work at their Canadian location through an Intra Company Transfer (ICT).

This option is available to companies that have a parent, subsidiary, branch or affiliate location that is operational in Canada.

Also, the occupation in Canada may only be for executives and senior managers, functional managers, or an employee who can demonstrate specialized knowledge of the company’s products, services, processes and procedures.

General Requirements

  • Foreign national should be currently employed by a multinational enterprise outside Canada.
  • Foreign national should be employed (via payroll or by contract) continuously for full-time (not accumulated part-time) by the enterprise outside Canada, in a similar full-time position, for at least one year within the three-year period immediately preceding the date of the initial application.
  • Details of the applicant’s position in an executive or managerial capacity or one involving specialized knowledge (i.e. position, title, place in the organization, job description)

    Generally, Work permit under ICT is granted for One year. Subsequent renewals are possible subject to maximum work permit duration (seven years for executives and senior managers, and five years for specialized knowledge workers).

    We have gained a versatile experience in handling these kind of cases and our team ensure entire process of Intra company transfer is completed diligently and efficiently. Our many happy employers have benefitted by transferring their employees to Canadian Location successfully. Manjula Katnawer is specialized in dealing with intra company transfers.

Open work permit is a work permit that is not job-specific, and as such a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) or proof of employment offer are not prerequisites to be eligible for an open work permit.


  • PG WORK PERMIT: International students who have graduated from a designated learning institution and who are eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program,
  • Students who are no longer to meet the costs of their studies (destitute student),
  • BRIDGING OPEN WORK PERMIT: Foreign nationals who have applied for permanent residence in Canada,
  • Foreign nationals who are the dependent family members of someone who has applied for permanent residence,
  • The spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker or international student,
  • Refugees, refugee claimants, protected persons, or their family members,
  • Temporary resident permit holders.
  • Charitable and Religious workers
  • Athletes

In each of these situations, the applicant must meet additional criteria to be eligible which you can discuss with our Canadian Immigration expert.

Spouses or common-law partners of full-time students with a valid study permit may apply for an open work permit.

An open work permit will enable the spouse or common-law partner of the international student to work. Your spouse/partner will not require a job offer to apply, and his/her permit will be valid for the same period as your study permit. This is an excellent way for your spouse or your common-law partner to connect with the local community, gain valuable work experience and earn extra money. Your spouse or your common-law partner can apply for a work permit after you arrive to Canada. It is also possible to apply for the spouse/common-law partner work permit at the same time as applying for your initial study permit outside of Canada. Your minor child/children may also study without a study permit at the preschool, primary, or secondary level. Please note children accompanying an adult who is in Canada on a work or study permit may study in Canada without a study permit at the pre-school, primary and secondary levels.

Citizens of the U.S. and Mexico can get Canadian work permits under the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA).

Formerly known as NAFTA, CUSMA allows for Canada, the U.S., and Mexico to exchange talent without the need for LMIAs.

There are four categories of temporary work covered under CUSMA:

  • CUSMA Professionals – Workers who are qualified to work in one of approximately 60 targeted professions, and have pre-arranged employment.
  • CUSMA Intra-Company Transfers – Managers, executives, or workers with specialized knowledge transferring to Canada to work for a branch, subsidiary, or affiliate of their U.S. or Mexican employer.
  • CUSMA Traders – Persons who are coming to Canada to carry out substantial trade of goods or services Canada and the U.S. or Mexico.
  • CUSMA Investors – Investors who have made a substantial investment in a new or existing Canadian business and are coming to Canada to develop and direct the business

Tcad Immigration solutions can help the Citizens of the U.S and Mexico to enter Canada on work permit without the need of going through the lengthy process of LMIA.